Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
< Prev.  Page of 99  Next >

Re: Dodgers' prospect discussion (continued)

Posted: 10/26/2011 3:23 PM

gobruins77 wrote:

I'm pretty excited about the idea of Gordon being in the MLB full time next year. I don't think he will ever have a high OBP, but I think he can be a solid .290 - .310 lead off hitter who may not have gap power, but can run his way into scoring position numerous times.

Gordon is pretty raw  still around plate..great thing is he does K a lot because he is such a good athlete...In minors he walked about 5-7% of time..Maybe in 5 yrs he will get that up to about 10%?
Definitely good leadoff............

Posted: 11/02/2011 3:14 PM

This is good news.....as well.....from Jon Weisman..

In the soothing quiet of a slow news cycle, the Dodgers have made two more roster moves. From The Associated Press:
The Los Angeles Dodgers added outfielder Alfredo Silverio and first baseman-outfielder Scott Van Slyke to their 40-man roster.

Silverio batted .306 with 16 home runs and 85 RBIs lastseason with Double-A Chattanooga, and earned selection to the All-Star Futures Game in July.

Van Slyke won the Southern League batting title with a .348 average and had 20 homers and 92 RBIs for Chattanooga. He was named the Dodgers' minor league player of the year. He is a son of former All-Star outfielder Andy Van Slyke.

I wrote in August about Van Slyke as an emerging 2012 roster option. The 25-year-old had a .427 on-base percentage and .595 slugging percentage in 2011 for Chattanooga, adding up to a 1.022 OPS that was third-best in the Southern League.

Silverio, 24, finished his year with a .340 OBP and .542 slugging, as well as this bizarre combination: 18 triples, 11 stolen bases, 12 caught stealing.
  • Quest2b1
  • Los Angeles Dodger
  • 1838 posts this site

Posted: 11/02/2011 3:30 PM

colobrowns wrote: This is good news.....as well.....from Jon Weisman..

In the soothing quiet of a slow news cycle, the Dodgers have made two more roster moves. From The Associated Press:
The Los Angeles Dodgers added outfielder Alfredo Silverio and first baseman-outfielder Scott Van Slyke to their 40-man roster.

Silverio batted .306 with 16 home runs and 85 RBIs lastseason with Double-A Chattanooga, and earned selection to the All-Star Futures Game in July.

Van Slyke won the Southern League batting title with a .348 average and had 20 homers and 92 RBIs for Chattanooga. He was named the Dodgers' minor league player of the year. He is a son of former All-Star outfielder Andy Van Slyke.

I wrote in August about Van Slyke as an emerging 2012 roster option. The 25-year-old had a .427 on-base percentage and .595 slugging percentage in 2011 for Chattanooga, adding up to a 1.022 OPS that was third-best in the Southern League.

Silverio, 24, finished his year with a .340 OBP and .542 slugging, as well as this bizarre combination: 18 triples, 11 stolen bases, 12 caught stealing.
Van Slyke crushes LHP, so he is an obvious option to platoon some with Loney and Eithier. We are signing Rivera, but I would still like to see Scott called up at some point to replace him in 2012. If Rivera hits well enough to garner trade interest at the brake I would deal him.

Posted: 11/03/2011 7:10 AM

Quest2b1 wrote:
colobrowns wrote: This is good news.....as well.....from Jon Weisman..

Van Slyke crushes LHP, so he is an obvious option to platoon some with Loney and Eithier. We are signing Rivera, but I would still like to see Scott called up at some point to replace him in 2012. If Rivera hits well enough to garner trade interest at the brake I would deal him.
I'm with you..lets see SVS in ST..then in AAA then bring him up  and if he does OK.the .trade Rivera if necessary..Rivera is just a extra guy who  can play 1b and of giving us  flexibility...
I would ilike to see him in MLb next yr to get his taste..

Posted: 11/03/2011 10:17 PM

Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Rosters Announced:

By J.J. Cooper

Steve AmesSRRLADRR6—1205Chattanooga (AA)
Control isn't great, but jerky delivery adds deception

http://www.baseballamerica.com...11/2612561.html

Posted: 11/05/2011 4:23 PM

Minor League Free Agents 2011

Los Angeles Dodgers (23) RHP: Roman Colon (AAA), Roy Corcoran (AAA), Tim Corcoran (AAA), Francisco Felix (AAA), John Housey (AAA), Jon Link (AAA), Joey Newby (AAA), Jesus Rodriguez (AA), Travis Schlichting (AAA), Oscar Villarreal (AAA) LHP: Alberto Bastardo (R), Randy Keisler (AAA), David Pfeiffer (AAA) C: Damaso Espino (AAA), Jessie Mier (Lo A) 1B: John Lindsey (AAA) 2B: Eugenio Velez (AAA) 3B: Corey Smith (AA) SS: Christian Lara (Lo A), Ivan Ochoa (AAA), Wilberto Ortiz (Hi A) OF: Brad Coon (AAA), Preston Mattingly (Lo A)

http://www.baseballamerica.com...ee-agents-2011/

Posted: 11/10/2011 12:31 PM

my current top 20  prospects and why....

1. ZLee has #1SP potential did good in this first full season..Curve and Fb asre plus pitches..chup still average and will test  this yr..good command at this stage.. Probably start in Cal then AA late in yr..
2. AWebster...#2SP that could be #1SP..has 2 plus pitches FB (91-95mph)that sinks and chanegup that is best in system..curve ball is above ave and if he commands it better it will become 3rd plus pitch. More of a ground out guy vs K guy. He had best ERA in cal league and was cruising along in AA with ERA of 3.3....til he hit 130 limit and arm went  dead..and then gave up 20er in 3 stats..ouch..to rocket up his ERA. A former SS he just needs innings to strengthen his arm. Start in AA and maybe AAA or call up when MLB injury occurs..sept call for sure.
3. NEovaldi..#2sp/CL...great start in MLB last yr.. 2 plus pitches fb and curve...but needs to dev that 3rd pitch to survive as SP..I see Eovalid working as SP in 2012 and dev that 3rd pitch..but if he can't we willdrop back to Bully where he can be a dominant hitting 100 mph.strater in MLB.
4. JPederson..RF...possible 5 tool guy..MVP yr in Pioneer league..showed he can run,hit and hit for power..He k'd less than 20% and walked more than 10%..good combo for a young hitter.Great arm..12 assists tin 72 games but def. is tool that needs more work. A ball...maybe Cal league to start.
5.GGould..#2sp...plus FB that sinks.(90-93mph).+ curve , changeup needs work but is about ave...good command. 2nd best ERA in league last yr.....start in cal and may make AA by end of yr.
6. Guerra...CL in MLB...aka "wild thing" finally got act together...good mix of pitches..to go with FB..good slider,chup and curve.. who'd a guess this one..not me....
7. SVS..Monster type yr in southern league..2nd best hitter in southern behind Goldschmidt. 45 doubles,4 triples and 20 hrs..batting .348 league leader.Good athlete..Can hit for average,20-25hr  power..ave defender with above ave arm,can play 1b. Late bloomer...AAA to start and probable callup in 2012.
8. JLindblom..SU/CL...great AA and MLB season...plus FB (90-95mph)and slider and chup..ave curve,,good command...MLB start more late innings work this yr..
9. BSmith..RF...former pitcher..my breakthru hitter  pick. who i expect to excell in 2012.Blake has reduced his krate from 33% .to 27% to 24%, good defender and greatr arm..12 assts in 62 games. Has highest power potential behind sands..30 homer guy. He hit LHP/RHP the same last yr..
10 Withrow..#2sp ...hit and miss season..although better than 2011.Has grteat FB and curve but command is issue if he can do a "Guerra" he will be special..IF? AAA start of yr..
11. Fedex...C..Hit.287 in AA/AAA last hr with 14 hrs..Krate<20% walk rate>10% so good eye.Above abve def and throws out 33% runners.. MLB in 2012.
12. Castellanos..2b/oF..great season last yr..he hit over .300 in 3 leagues..23 hrs..Texas,southern and AFL before  being shut down. Can be a 20 hr guy at 2b,ave defender..Mlb in sept 2012.
13. AMiller...LHP-#2sp..groin injuries ruined yr..has good FB and slilder...start in AA again with possible callup in late 2012 or 2013. Need slight command improvement and innings...
14. ASongco...LF..Breakout yr for Angelo in Cal league..29 hrs..second best power guy in minors behind BSmith. Songco needs to improve hitting against LHP and improve walk rate slightly..AA
15. CReed..LHP..#2SP/CL..Chris didn't get much time in minors because of College WS etc.  Has plus FB, and curve..good chup,He needs innings..to sharper command and pitches..could easily be another Kuo or solid SP.
16. ASilverio..RF/CF..Alfredo got his moko back again.Always a good def and good arm.good speed.Doesn't walk much but is a line drive hitter..last yr..he hit 42 doubles,18 triples and 16 hrs..batting .306. He needs to improve batting eye and steal more bases..AAA with 2013 as MLB ETA.
17.GErickson..C..great yr in Cal/AA batting .293 between 2 leagues..krate<20% and walk rate >13%.good eye.good defender and arm. Depending on where Fedex starts yr..he wil follow..AA/AA for sure.MLB in 2013...maybe sept 2012.
18. STollson..SU/CL..Shawn has all tools for a back of rotation guy. Will start likely in AAA but make MLB this yr..
19. O.Dickson..1b..great season in pioneer league..2nd best playwer behind Joc P. 3rd best power  potential behind..smith,songco.Short comnpact swing..krate about 21%,walks about 10%...hots LHP  same as RHP.. Probably start in Cal league.
20.. A.Sanchez..Breakout yr in A ball...2nd best pitcher on loons team behind Gould..possible #2sp,,+FB and above ave/+ chup and good curve..good command. He will start in cal ..and move up to AA this yr.. 22yrs old later this month.
...................................next 5...no order..
JGarcia..RF
EMartin RP
IVD2
NCuevas-LF
CSTClair-LHP -RP

Posted: 11/10/2011 12:44 PM

RE: Dodgers' prospect discussion (continued) 

Nice rankings, colo.

I'm a little higher on guys than you and vice versa. I do love seeing Blake Smith ranked highly. I'm a big believer in him. You're a lot higher on guys like Federowicz, Castellanos and Lindblom. I'm higher on Sanchez, Tolleson and Erickson than you. It's a solid Top 20, though.

I'll be posting my Top 50 (upped from 30 the last two years) before BA releases its list (Dec. 2).
  • saeldway
  • Ogden Raptors
  • 23 posts this site

Posted: 11/10/2011 1:19 PM

Good work Colo.  No Baldwin in the top 25?  He started out on fire, had some time off, then struggled.  But on potential and the way he started out no top 25?
On EO, they have to have tried to get him learn a third pitch by now.  Do you know what it was, why it didn't take and what pitch would fit his profile best?

Posted: 11/10/2011 2:02 PM

saeldway wrote: Good work Colo.  No Baldwin in the top 25?  He started out on fire, had some time off, then struggled.  But on potential and the way he started out no top 25?
On EO, they have to have tried to get him learn a third pitch by now.  Do you know what it was, why it didn't take and what pitch would fit his profile best?
For me, I would have Baldwin near the top 10 and another emission would be Jake Lemmerman. Did I miss Angelo Songco?

Late bloomers to watch:

Austin Gallagher
JT Wise
Tony Delmonico

Breakout pitcher for 2012:

Brandon Martinez

Posted: 11/10/2011 3:47 PM

Speedy8 wrote:
saeldway wrote: Good work Colo.  No Baldwin in the top 25?  He started out on fire, had some time off, then struggled.  But on potential and the way he started out no top 25?
For me, I would have Baldwin near the top 10 and another emission would be Jake Lemmerman. Did I miss Angelo Songco?

Late bloomers to watch:

Austin Gallagher
JT Wise
Tony Delmonico

Brandon Martinez
Songco is at No. 14. Yeah, Lemmerman and Baldwin belong in the Top 25, especially since the Dodgers have graduated a lot of key guys (De La Rosa, Sands, Elbert, Jansen, Gordon) and lost Robinson via trade.

Posted: 11/10/2011 5:18 PM

Baldwin is probably in top 25 at 25/26...
lots of potential but VERY RAW. talent..
He just doesn't not make enough contact right now.Krate is over 35% is think....maybe 2012 Baldwin will see the light?
Eovaldi will pick up cutter or some other pitch since chup has eluded him.
Maybe 2 seam Fb that goes into RHB..

Last edited 11/10/2011 5:24 PM by colobrowns

Posted: 11/10/2011 5:39 PM

DNoz29 wrote: Nice rankings, colo.

I'm a little higher on guys than you and vice versa. I do love seeing Blake Smith ranked highly. I'm a big believer in him. You're a lot higher on guys like Federowicz, Castellanos and Lindblom. I'm higher on Sanchez, Tolleson and Erickson than you. It's a solid Top 20, though.

I'll be posting my Top 50 (upped from 30 the last two years) before BA releases its list (Dec. 2).
Dustin ..tough group to rank because they are so close..
top 10 is OK but 10-20 is close...
I like Sanchez a lot and predict he will another breakout season in 2012...the he will be in top10.
I ranked him lower than Miller just because Miller wa sinjured so we didn't get a chance to see AM improve or not?
Fedex ha some pop so I rnaked him up there but Gorman is right behind..
I ranked Lindblom high cuz he will be in MLB as RP working towards his ceiling as SU this yr..
Love Tolleson who has same upside  as lIndblom but not in MLB...yet..
Castellanos..i think will surprise all of us...the guy did well in 3 leagues! Not many guys do that...
if he can go back to 2b which he has played before..his value goes up and why I ranked him above IVD2 and "Late night " as Infielders.

We have a lot of talented players at least 30...who have MLB potential.. Lots of solid #2SP talent..
and solid RP talent to keep us competitive for next 5+ yrs.

Brightest stars..in SP are  Lee and Webster....followed by Gould,Eovaldi,Sanchez  and Withrow(who i have been critical in past....he walks too many LHB!!)).
Brightest hitters..Joc is the man...BSmith look at his improvement yr to yr..Krate down Hr rate up..IF he does well in AA, he could become a monster for us making us forget Ethier.
after this 2....I am intrigued by SVS, Songco  and Dickson for his power..

Posted: 11/10/2011 5:48 PM

colobrowns wrote: Baldwin is probably in top 25 at 25/26...
lots of potential but VERY RAW. talent..
He just doesn't not make enough contact right now.Krate is over 35% is think....maybe 2012 Baldwin will see the light?
Eovaldi will pick up cutter or some other pitch since chup has eluded him.
Maybe 2 seam Fb that goes into RHB..
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9132 &position=P

For what it's worth, Fangraphs said that Eovaldi threw five pitches in 2011 in the majors:

FB- 94.3 MPH (69.3%)
SL- 87.3 MPH (22.9%)
CB- 75.8 MPH (4.9%)
CH- 87.9 MPH (1.3%)
SF- 83.7 MPH (1.5%)

I wouldn't go with a cutter, it should be too similiar to his slider. I would have Eovaldi continue to work on his change up and later his curveball.

• Quest2b1
  • Los Angeles Dodger
  • 1838 posts this site

Posted: 11/10/2011 6:14 PM

Eovaldi's slider grades out as average. If he compares to any MLB player right now, I would say Francisco Cordero...same FB velo and slider combo. Definitely feels he should be in the pen or back in the minors to develop 2nd and 3rd offering...the majors not a good place to develop pitches.

Last edited 11/10/2011 6:15 PM by Quest2b1

Posted: 11/11/2011 9:43 AM

Quest2b1 wrote: Eovaldi's slider grades out as average. If he compares to any MLB player right now, I would say Francisco Cordero...same FB velo and slider combo. Definitely feels he should be in the pen or back in the minors to develop 2nd and 3rd offering...the majors not a good place to develop pitches.
This yr we will see how Eovaldi does...with his stuff... your right MLB is not a good place to dev pitches..But???

Quest .you are right..right now his SL rates as ave with limited data..it has potential to be plus..
but problem with Eovladi is # of qaulity pitches he needs that 3rd goodpitch to make his FB K guys..his Krate is only 6k/9ip for a guy who has plus velocity..
He needs to improve command 1st...then pick up 1/2 other pitches..to allow him to stay as SP...
I mention cutter because he needs somethi,g that goes into RHP. cutter or 2 seam.

Posted: 11/11/2011 9:46 AM

Speedy8 wrote:

Late bloomers to watch:

Austin Gallagher
JT Wise
Tony Delmonico

Brandon Martinez
Songco is at #14....I want to see what he does at AA..the critical jump..
"Late night" stumbled a bit in AA....so he is in myb 20s..
Baldwin didn't improve ....so he is in 20s vs top15 for me..
I agree on all three late bloomers....esp Delmonico..our ONLY hope for a 3b in next 2 yrs..

Posted: 11/11/2011 11:24 AM

1. Zach Lee- Potential, Potential, Potential: Ace, three plus pitches, plus command and control, plus athlete.
2. Nathan Eovaldi- 21 years old, very successful at AA, did well in short stint in majors, plus-plus fastball, average to plus slider, lots of time to develop third pitch and has plus command.
3.  Chris Reed- Dodgers are very high on him; plus athlete, plus fastball, should have two above-average secondary pitches and command. He dominated in the playoffs to finish off the year.
4. Joc Pederson- Had a monster season at Ogden, look forward to see how he does at Great Lakes in 2012. Should be our rightfielder of the future.
5. Allen Webster- More developed secondary pitches than Eovaldi but fastball is average, command is average and he needs to show he can finish a season. If he gets stronger, he can be a number 1 type.
6. James Baldwin III- I think I am Baldwin's biggest supporter on the board; the Dodgers have likened him to Matt Kemp. Potential gold-glove defender, plus-plus speed, plus pop, could be the Dodgers version of Jacoby Ellsbury. Up and down year in 2011 due to injury in the middle of the year. Could be number 1 or 2 on my list next year based on my expectations.
7. Garret Gould
8. Chris Withrow
9. Aaron Miller
10. Tim Federowicz
11. Alfredo Silvero - LF of the future?
12. A. Sanchez
13. Blake Smith- another RF option, will be pushed by Pederson
14. Jake Lemmerman- SS now, could end up at 2B
15. Scott Van Slyke - 1B/LF Option
16. Angelo Songco- 1B Option
17. Alex Castellanos- 2B/3B?
18. Ethan Martin- Closer prospect?
19. Shawn Tolleson- elite setup guy
20. O'Koyea Dickson
21. Alex Santana- bloodlines, big frame, lots of room for growth, like his swing
22. Juan Rodriguez- 100 mph heat, could take off under Dodgers tutelage; a la Kenley Jansen
23. Tony Delmonico
24. Griff Erickson
25. Steve Ames
colobrowns wrote: my current top 20  prospects and why....

1. ZLee has #1SP potential did good in this first full season..Curve and Fb asre plus pitches..chup still average and will test  this yr..good command at this stage.. Probably start in Cal then AA late in yr..
2. AWebster...#2SP that could be #1SP..has 2 plus pitches FB (91-95mph)that sinks and chanegup that is best in system..curve ball is above ave and if he commands it better it will become 3rd plus pitch. More of a ground out guy vs K guy. He had best ERA in cal league and was cruising along in AA with ERA of 3.3....til he hit 130 limit and arm went  dead..and then gave up 20er in 3 stats..ouch..to rocket up his ERA. A former SS he just needs innings to strengthen his arm. Start in AA and maybe AAA or call up when MLB injury occurs..sept call for sure.
3. NEovaldi..#2sp/CL...great start in MLB last yr.. 2 plus pitches fb and curve...but needs to dev that 3rd pitch to survive as SP..I see Eovalid working as SP in 2012 and dev that 3rd pitch..but if he can't we willdrop back to Bully where he can be a dominant hitting 100 mph.strater in MLB.
4. JPederson..RF...possible 5 tool guy..MVP yr in Pioneer league..showed he can run,hit and hit for power..He k'd less than 20% and walked more than 10%..good combo for a young hitter.Great arm..12 assists tin 72 games but def. is tool that needs more work. A ball...maybe Cal league to start.
5.GGould..#2sp...plus FB that sinks.(90-93mph).+ curve , changeup needs work but is about ave...good command. 2nd best ERA in league last yr.....start in cal and may make AA by end of yr.
6. Guerra...CL in MLB...aka "wild thing" finally got act together...good mix of pitches..to go with FB..good slider,chup and curve.. who'd a guess this one..not me....
7. SVS..Monster type yr in southern league..2nd best hitter in southern behind Goldschmidt. 45 doubles,4 triples and 20 hrs..batting .348 league leader.Good athlete..Can hit for average,20-25hr  power..ave defender with above ave arm,can play 1b. Late bloomer...AAA to start and probable callup in 2012.
8. JLindblom..SU/CL...great AA and MLB season...plus FB (90-95mph)and slider and chup..ave curve,,good command...MLB start more late innings work this yr..
9. BSmith..RF...former pitcher..my breakthru hitter  pick. who i expect to excell in 2012.Blake has reduced his krate from 33% .to 27% to 24%, good defender and greatr arm..12 assts in 62 games. Has highest power potential behind sands..30 homer guy. He hit LHP/RHP the same last yr..
10 Withrow..#2sp ...hit and miss season..although better than 2011.Has grteat FB and curve but command is issue if he can do a "Guerra" he will be special..IF? AAA start of yr..
11. Fedex...C..Hit.287 in AA/AAA last hr with 14 hrs..Krate<20% walk rate>10% so good eye.Above abve def and throws out 33% runners.. MLB in 2012.
12. Castellanos..2b/oF..great season last yr..he hit over .300 in 3 leagues..23 hrs..Texas,southern and AFL before  being shut down. Can be a 20 hr guy at 2b,ave defender..Mlb in sept 2012.
13. AMiller...LHP-#2sp..groin injuries ruined yr..has good FB and slilder...start in AA again with possible callup in late 2012 or 2013. Need slight command improvement and innings...
14. ASongco...LF..Breakout yr for Angelo in Cal league..29 hrs..second best power guy in minors behind BSmith. Songco needs to improve hitting against LHP and improve walk rate slightly..AA
15. CReed..LHP..#2SP/CL..Chris didn't get much time in minors because of College WS etc.  Has plus FB, and curve..good chup,He needs innings..to sharper command and pitches..could easily be another Kuo or solid SP.
16. ASilverio..RF/CF..Alfredo got his moko back again.Always a good def and good arm.good speed.Doesn't walk much but is a line drive hitter..last yr..he hit 42 doubles,18 triples and 16 hrs..batting .306. He needs to improve batting eye and steal more bases..AAA with 2013 as MLB ETA.
17.GErickson..C..great yr in Cal/AA batting .293 between 2 leagues..krate<20% and walk rate >13%.good eye.good defender and arm. Depending on where Fedex starts yr..he wil follow..AA/AA for sure.MLB in 2013...maybe sept 2012.
18. STollson..SU/CL..Shawn has all tools for a back of rotation guy. Will start likely in AAA but make MLB this yr..
19. O.Dickson..1b..great season in pioneer league..2nd best playwer behind Joc P. 3rd best power  potential behind..smith,songco.Short comnpact swing..krate about 21%,walks about 10%...hots LHP  same as RHP.. Probably start in Cal league.
20.. A.Sanchez..Breakout yr in A ball...2nd best pitcher on loons team behind Gould..possible #2sp,,+FB and above ave/+ chup and good curve..good command. He will start in cal ..and move up to AA this yr.. 22yrs old later this month.
...................................next 5...no order..
JGarcia..RF
EMartin RP
IVD2
NCuevas-LF
CSTClair-LHP -RP

Posted: 11/11/2011 6:01 PM

Nice list speedy......
We differ on a few people....
Baldwin certainly has potential but no sign. Production yet for me.
Love to see reed do as well as you say....

Posted: 11/11/2011 6:04 PM

Other guys in 25 to 30 range are:
Cuevas and schebler...
Mcgough and solano...
Kirkalnd and hunt..3b
< Prev.  Page of 99  Next >